Frank Marum has over 25 years of experience in telecommunications including both
wireless and wireline communications. He is a partner and founding member of Telecom
Systems Solutions. Frank combines a deep telecom industry understanding with a solid
knowledge of telecommunications technology. His core skills include marketing,
business development, business planning, and product management.
Prior to joining TSS has worked at the Gartner Group as Director of Telecom
Consulting where he advised carriers, vendors and investors on next generation
networks, broadband access and mobile wireless communications.
Some of his recent assignments include:
Prior to joining Gartner, Frank was Director of Product Management at Nortel for
the SUCCESSION portfolio where he established programs to launch next generation
services for both wireless and wireline products.
In prior roles at Nortel he held a variety of positions in Engineering, Business
Development and Marketing where he worked on CENTREX, ISDN CLASS and Intelligent
- Business planning for technology startups in the broadband accesses and
wireless sectors. (xDSL, Fixed Wireless, Cable Modems and 3G wireless.)
- Due diligence for venture funds in the broadband access, softswitch and
- Competitive analysis for CLECs, ILECs and vendor solutions.
- Assisted vendors with market assessment and market entry plans for the Next
Generation Network and Softswitch market.
- Assisted a Latin American wireless operator with the realignment of their
distribution channels to improve margins. In addition provided an evaluation of
the MVNO model as a potential new distribution channel.
- Provided wireless device equipment vendors considering investment in 2.5/3G
applications with a detailed assessment of market opportunities for broadband
wireless mobility applications.
- Developed a strategic growth plan for an U.S. regional power utility to evolve
from a fiber wholesaler to a full-service carrier. This assignment included the
development of a methodology to forecast bandwidth growth and carrier data revenues
in second- and third-tier cities in the United States.
Frank is active in several industry forums including: NCF presenter and
chairperson and as a Supercomm presenter.
Frank has a BSEE in Engineering from University College Dublin, IRELAND.
Tel: (919) 387-1036